I remember growing up, watching my cousin always make the perfect ballerina bun and me always wishing I could do the same with my hair. There seemed to be a science to the chic and go-to-do look, that I just couldn’t master, so I just settled for messy ponytails instead. But, now that everyone from my little 4-year-old cousins to Blue Ivy’s mama have returned to the bun trend, I thought I’d might take a try at mastering it.
So here’s what I did:
- Took an old sock and cut off the bottom part and rolled it up into the shape of a doughnut.
- Pulled my hair up into a high ponytail.
- Pulled my hair through the center of the doughnut/sock. I left a enough out to fold under.
- I folded my hair under the sock
- Then, I pushed through the center of the sock and rolled it down until it was on my head.
- I used hair pins and styling gel, to secure any loose hairs.
If you’re looking for perfection, the technique will require a little patience and I would advise not rocking it on a windy day. I’d like to think messy buns show personality though.
So, I want to hear from you. What do you think of the bun trend? Would you try a sock bun? What other techniques have you tried to get the perfect bun?