As a follower of VR I’m pretty sure you know by now that sharing make-up is NEVER a good idea. Illnesses such as cold sores and eye infections can be passed by sharing make-up. Yet as a beauty industry insider, I can’t tell you how many times I see consumers sample cosmetic testers without using a new mascara wand, lipstick/lip gloss without a new applicator or eyeliner without cleaning the tip. Each time I see it, it makes me want to cringe.
Would you eat directly from a stranger? Would you use public restrooms without seat covers? Why would you share make-up that thousands of completely strangers have sampled? What if one of those persons didn’t wash their hands after the restroom and passed along E.coli? What if you had a cut on your lip and one of the many samplers had herpes? Or what if a sampler had pink eye?
Time to get smart when sampling make-up:
1. Ask for an individual tester.
2. Don’t test make-up on your eyes, mouth or nose. Use your hand instead.
3. Make sure you always clean the surface of make-up testers when you’re about to sample, with a tissue or a tissue dipped in alchol.
4. If you’re sampling lipstick always use a disposable applicator.
5. DO NOT sample tester mascara!!!